The items that you need to get ready for the end times
If you have never really given thought to being a prepper, but have decided that it would be best if you did prepare for a catastrophic event, then you may be at a loss as to what is needed.
There are so many shows, books, and tutorials from various perspectives that it is a bit frustrating when you are first starting to become a prepper.
Here is a guide who will help you get the basics for your bug out bag and present you with a checklist for where to go from there.
The very first thing which you will need to do as a prepper is to secure and ensure the sustainability of your necessary essentials.
You need to ensure that you have both mobile and stockpiled resources at hand. This way if you have to bug out or bug in you will be prepared. You will need to have a bug out bag as well as a storage area for your supplies.
Your bug out bag should be made of sturdy material and support the back. Extra support should be at the base of the bag. Avoid zippers as these can break and jam. Use clasps or draw strings. If possible, find a bag which will allow you to place a tactical first aid kit at the base or top securely.
Your storage area for your bug in supplies should be free from moisture and from prying eyes. Ideally, the room will be close to the center of the house (so as to avoid damage in a natural disaster). All supplies should be stored in containers that can be carried from the site (if needed).
The fundamental necessities are:
- Water in an airtight container
- Water Pouches
- Dehydrated Fruits and Vegetables
- Dehydrated Meats or MREs
- Flint and Steel
- A tarp for shelter
This is the core fundamentals that you will need to survive for a few days.
Granted, you will probably not last too much longer if you call it quits here.
There are other supplies which are just as critical to your ongoing survival as the items listed above. The following prepper checklist gives you the basic items a prepper needs and an explanation on why such is needed.
- Knife – You will need to have at least 2 knives in your prepper supplies. These need to be at least 6 inches in length and be made of complete metal. Ideally, you want to have your knives made of a carbon based steel so that the knife can double as a tool for fire craft if needed. The reason that you want a solid knife as opposed to the composited knife (being that of a handle screwed onto a blade) is that it reduces the chances of breakage.
- Water Filtration/ Water Straws – Your water supply will only last you for so long. After this you will need to be able to find a sustainable water source. Unfortunately, most of the water will need to be filtered to remove contaminants. Water purification tablets, filters, and water straws are essential.
- An axe as long as your lower arm or a hatchet – In the wilderness survival situation you will need to have an axe. In urban survival you will need to have the axe as both an offensive and defensive weapon as well as a tool.
- Seeds – once your food storage is dry, you will need to have a way in which to produce food. Granted, you can look for nuts and berries and such, but you will need to have food for the times when the trails go dry. If you are in an urban setting you will need to have seeds so that you can start your own indoor garden.
- Firewood – It does no good to have a heat source if you do not have anything to burn. In a catastrophic event, gas and electricity will be a rarity. Collecting wood at that time will be a first come first served situation. As you will be focusing on other survival skills, it is paramount that you stock up on a natural heat source now.
- Tactical First Aid Kit – A basic first aid kit will not work in the end times or a catastrophic event. What good is a ban aid if you have a gashing wound? A tactical first aid kit will provide you with a great many tools which you probably would not consider under normal circumstances. Will you use all of it? Hopefully not, but you want to be prepared.
- An offensive/Defensive weapon – When everything goes haywire, it is essential that you can protect your family and yourself from rioters and marauders. You will need to have an offensive and a defensive weapon. Where a gun may be useful for a while, you need to really consider using a weapon that is not dependent upon retail supplies (as a gun needs bullets). You need to be able to use the weapon both offensively (to keep threats away before they get to close) as well as defensively.
Going beyond the supplies
Preppers need to go beyond just stocking up on supplies. You need to have a plan for what to do when everything goes crazy. If you are staying in your residence and securing it this is your bug in plan.
If you (like most) have a safe place to flee to this is a bug out plan.
It is crucial that you have multiple bug out and bug in plans and that you practice your plans to see how realistic they are when implemented.
For example: If you are planning a bug out plan that involves you walking down a major highway, it may be ineffective to do so as that area will be patrolled.
On the same note, if your bug out plan leads you to the Mississippi river you cannot just wade across it. You need to have a plan that can and will work.