Doomsday prepping is the most extreme type of emergency preparedness.
Instead of being focused on surviving a common natural disaster which might last for a week, a doomsday prepper will think about surviving a nuclear bomb strike within 10 miles of their home.
Doomsday preppers consider every potential doomsday scenario including:
- Nuclear war, Dirty bombs and EMP strikes
- Solar Flares
- Volcanic activity and earthquakes
- Asteroid impact or comet collision
- Biological agent or deadly virus
- War (civil war, foreign invasion or government oppression)
- Global warming causing the oceans to rise quickly, food to become scarce and displacing millions of people
Some of these doomsday scenarios may only have a small chance of occurring, but the survivors will be preppers who took these threats seriously.
Some of these doomsday scenarios require a significant investment of resources so should not be undertaken lightly.
For example, to survive a large asteroid impact on the earth, you would need a secure location that can sustain you and your family for many years.
The dust and water vapor thrown up by the asteroid could potentially block the sun for months, killing crops and creating food scarcity.
The kinetic energy from an asteroid impact could cause earthquakes, hurricanes and tsunamis.
As you can see, doomsday prepping has to take into account significant threats.
This doomsday prepper list contains the standard tools that a survivalist needs, but augments that with some “worst case scenario” survival tools.
As any survivalist knows, water is crucial for survival. You should have the means necessary to filter, purify, transport and store drinking water. For doomsday prepping, you will require more options for obtaining and purifying water.
Water Filtration and Purification
- Reverse osmosis system to remove radioactive contaminants from water
- A bore or well to extract ground water
- Waste recycling capabilities to turn organic matter into water and fertilizer
- Tri-Salts, a bicarbonate powder to pick up radioactive elements from water
- Methods for distilling water including a solar groundwater distiller
- A gravity fed water filter with replacement cartridges
- Kettle with lid to boil water and remove bacterial and viral contaminants
- Paper coffee filters and camping water filters to remove sediment from water
- Water purification tablets
- Iodine, non-scented bleach and/or calcium hypochlorite for disinfecting water
- 55-gallon storage barrels and rain barrels
- A water containment system like the waterBOB
- Large underground and/or above ground water tanks
Ways to Transport Water
- Large water bottles and canteens, stainless steel
- 5-gallon water jugs
- Water bladders
- Wheelbarrow or small wagon to transport water containers
- Pump systems and hoses with energy source to run them
A survivalist concerned about civil unrest or a minor natural disaster might decide to store 6-months worth of food as well as the necessary tools to farm and hunt for more food. A doomsday prepper must consider extreme scenarios like a nuclear war, which would contaminate soil and kill wildlife. Not only should they stockpile food, they must think about how to grow more food in a secure and enclosed environment like a bunker.
Stored Long Term Food and Staples
- Canned vegetables, fruit, meat, legumes, pasta and grains (wheat, rice)
- Staples including flour, sugar, spices, salt, honey, yeast, baking powder, vinegar
- Cooking oils and condiments
- Coffee/Tea and Dry milk
- Metal containers for all food
Food Hunting Tools
After a doomsday event, you may not even be able to hunt for food because the air and soil are contaminated. Ensure that wildlife is safe to eat.
- Hunting rifles and plenty of ammunition
- Bow and arrows
- Trap making tools
- Fishing gear including rods, hooks, lures, and nets
Food Growing Tools
Gardening is always an essential survival skill because it will allow you to grow your own food for many years, becoming self-sufficient. Because a doomsday prepper must consider the effect of a nuclear bomb being dropped nearby, they require a number of additional methods for growing food indoors. Items to take:
- Hoe, shovel, rake and other necessary gardening tools
- Fertilizer, insecticides and pesticides
- Hydroponic equipment including pumps, liquid fertilizers, growing medium
- Aeroponic equipment including buckets, fertilizers, hoses and nozzles.
- Growing lights, backup bulbs and access to a suitable power source
- Non-GMO seeds
- Hoses and access to water source for outdoor gardening
Food Preservation and Preparation Tools
The doomsday prepper should bring along the standard food preservation and preparation tools.
- Glass jars for pickling or fermenting
- Caning pot or pressure canner
- Drying tray for sun-drying food and a solar-powered food dehydrator
- Camping stove, solar oven, BBQ grill, fire pit, solar oven
- Utensils and cooking implements
- Can openers, pots and pans
The location, capabilities and quality of your shelter becomes much more important when doomsday prepping. It will have to survive extreme events that can range from nuclear disaster to asteroid impact.
Ideally, the bunker will have the following qualities and capabilities:
- Located well above sea level
- Located underground
- Well away from the Yellowstone national park (because of the potential super volcano event)
- Well away from geographical fault lines like the San Andreas fault
- Close to multiple sources of water (wells, bores, natural waterways)
- Located on arable land
- Far away from large cities and military bases
- Secure and well concealed
- Able to power itself via a renewable energy source (geothermal, tidal, solar, or wind).
- Able to process waste internally
- Able to filter outside air to remove contaminants
- Able to heat/cool itself sufficiently (wood burning stove, gas heaters, fuel etc).
- Technology necessary to assess the safety of the environment inside and outside — Geiger counter, air quality tester
Even if you satisfy all of those requirements, a doomsday event like a large asteroid hitting the earth could create such an impact that you still wouldn’t survive.
Some of the other items you need for doomsday prepping your shelter:
Materials for Repairing Your Shelter
- Timber, tools including wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, wire cutters and more
- Tarps and plastic sheeting
- Metal and welding tools
- Crowbars, Nails, screws, Chains and padlocks
Items for Creating Temporary Shelter
- Camping tents, rope and tarpaulins
- Outdoors survival gear including weather-resistant clothing and high-quality sleeping bags
Tools for Providing Energy, Heating, Cooling and Lighting
- Wood burning stove, gas heaters with plenty of fuel
- Solar-powered fans, hand held fans
- Lighting sources including solar-powered lights
- Generators and inverters
- Batteries to store energy
- At least two sources of renewable energy, wind turbines, solar panels, geothermal well, tidal/water turbine.
After a doomsday event, there will probably be millions of displaced people, looking for food and shelter. You must protect yourself, your family and your assets against scavengers.
- Pistol and rifles with plenty of ammunition
- Combat knife, machete
- Compound bow and arrows
- Gun oil and cleaning solvent
- Sandbags, barbed wire and camouflage for your bunker
- Alarms and movement sensors
- Heavy duty locks, metal barricades, and shutters
A doomsday prepper will collect the same types of items as any other survivalist, but they will collect more of them. A doomsday prepper might be forced to reside in their bunker for a number of years, so a long-term supply of these items should be gathered.
- Large first aid kit and small first aid kits for when mobile
- Hydrogen peroxide and disinfectants
- Surgical kit
- Snake bite kit, CPR kit and spider bite kit
- First aid instructions
- Toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, and dental floss
- Soap and shampoo
- Composting or recycling toilet facilities
- Shaving supplies, feminine hygiene products, baby wipes, birth control and hand sanitizer
- Sunscreen, moisturizer and lip balm
- Scissors, combs, nail clippers and tweezer
- Shower facilities including a camp shower
- Calamine Lotion, Benadryl, Neosporin
- Pain relief including morphine
- Allergy medication
- Prescription medication